The 27 year old perpetrator of the train attack near Salez-Sennwald in the Swiss canton of St. Gallen, has died from his injuries, according to St. Gallen’s police. Earlier in the day a 34 year old female victim died from injuries resulting from the same attack.
Doctors reported that two of the remaining five victims, a woman of 17 and a girl of 6, are suffering from serious knife and burn injuries. The other three victims include a woman of 43, a man of 17, and a man of 50.
The attack, which took place at around 2:20pm on Saturday, was filmed by a security camera which shows a man armed with a knife pouring flammable liquid and then lighting it.
Earlier the Swiss-German newspaper Tages-Anzeiger reported the St Gallen police saying that the perpetrator had a typically Swiss-sounding name and was from a neighbouring Swiss canton. In the same report, police spokesperson Hanspeter Krüsi said that no motive for the attack had been established. “We still do not know where and why the man boarded the train, and if he knew any of the passengers.”
In a later statement the St. Gallen police said “At the present time, there is nothing to suggest that this act was terrorism or politically motivated.”
An article published in the newspaper Blick on 18 August 2016, describes the critical state of one of the victims, who is still in hospital. The paper said that 17 year-old Melissa from Lichtenstein, who has burn injuries on 75% of her body, is in a coma. Someone close to her reportedly said “The chances of her surviving are very low.” Two other victims are still in hospital.
In addition, the paper reported that investigators had found no evidence that the attacker knew the victims.