Testing commissioned by Blue Cross, a Swiss organisation focused on helping those with addictions, found toxic substances in the Iqos electronic cigarette produced by Philip Morris, according to the newspaper 20 Minutes.
Toxic isocyanates were released when the polymer filter in the device was heated to 100 degrees, a temperature significantly lower than the maximum of 350 degrees listed in the product’s specifications.
Isocyanates, found in solvants, paints, coatings and foam, are known to damage cell membranes and can damage eyes, irritate respiratory tracts, and trigger asthma, bronchitis and emphysema.
However, the tests did not confirm whether or not the substances would be inhaled by the smoker.
In an interview with Keystone-ATS, a spokesperson for the tobacco company said the company had tested for this and found that the toxins are not inhaled by the user, adding that the tests commissioned by Blue Cross were not done under realistic conditions.
20 Minutes article (in French) – Take a 5 minute French test now
For more stories like this on Switzerland follow us on Facebook and Twitter.