Recent figures from the canton’s statistical office show the percentage of residents 15 or older holding Swiss citizenship along with one or more other nationalities has grown to 27%.
Only 36% of the population are Swiss only. The remaining 37% of residents are foreign nationals without Swiss citizenship.
The figures, which take the averages over the period from 2014 to 2016, show that the largest slices of those holding a Swiss passport along with one or more other nationality are French (27%), Italian (18%), Spanish (8%) and Portuguese (8%).
The majority of those Swiss with one or more other nationality have become Swiss (63%). The other 37% were born Swiss.
Between 2000 and the period from 2014 to 2016, the percentage of residents of Geneva holding only Swiss citizenship fell from 49% to 36%, a drop of 14%.
Ocstat report (in French) – Take a 5 minute French test now
For more stories like this on Switzerland follow us on Facebook and Twitter.