This season, Snow has come early to Europe. Generally speaking the snow above 1,500 metres is good and above 1,800 it is even better. Speaking to 24 Heures, Pierre Besson, director of the lift company Télé Villars-Gryon-Diablerets, said there is around 90 cm of snow at this altitude.
All of this snow means that some resorts are already open and many more are opening this weekend. And because this is unseasonal, many are offering reduced rates. Children under 9 don’t pay at resorts in the canton of Vaud.
It is important to check resort websites before fitting your roof rack and pulling on your base layer. Some are not open and some of those that are, are only open at the weekends.
In addition, watch out for the weather. Check out the Swiss Meteo forecasts for Saturday and Sunday. A heavy rain warnings is showing for Vaud, and slippery road and snow warning on the Italian side of the Alps on Saturday. The webcam links below show conditions now.
Here are some resorts that plan to open this weekend, with links to more detailed information. Many still say that opening is dependent on conditions, for example, high winds could prevent opening at Glacier 3000m.
- Glacier 3000m – prices: CHF 62 adults, CHF 37 children – webcams
- Verbier – prices: CHF 51 adult, CHF 26 child – webcams
- Crans-Montana – prices: CHF 25 adult – webcams
- Grimentz – prices: CHF 58, CHF 35 child – webcams
- Zinal – prices: CHF 58, CHF 35 child – webcams
- Portes du Soleil – various prices – webcams
- Villars – prices: CHF 34 adults, CHF 22 children – webcams
- Les Diablerets – prices: CHF 62 adults, CHF 37 children – webcams
- Leysin – prices: CHF 20 adult, CHF 15 children
- Nendaz – prices: CHF 51 adult, CHF 26 child – webcams
- Zermatt – prices: CHF 79 adult, CHF 40 child – webcams
- Saas Fee – prices: CHF 72 adult, CHF 31 child – webcams
- Gstaad – prices: 20% off – webcams
24 Heures article (in French) – Take a 5 minute French test now
For more stories like this on Switzerland follow us on Facebook and Twitter.