Tribune de Genève.
According to the newspaper the number of fines has increased by 8.4% to 773,000. The increase in the number of small fines is particularly marked. In 2014 the state raked in CHF 70 million of traffic fines, the highest in seven years and a 21% increase on 2013. In 2013 the margin of tolerance was 3 to 7 km/h. In 2014 it was reduced to 1 to 5 km/h. In addition, the traffic police did more mobile speed monitoring in 2014.
The penalties associated with late payment were stiffened and this has improved fine collection rates. Since January 2014, a CHF 40 fine goes up to CHF 140 if it is not paid promptly.
Some however, still escape the fines. Diplomats with diplomatic immunity for example aren’t required to pay. Despite this exemption 10% pay anyway and the other 90% are encouraged to pay.
Foreign drivers sometimes get off too. It depends on which country they are from. German, French and Italian drivers now have to pay – they were included 3 months ago. agreements are yet to be signed with other European countries.
Full article in Tribune de Genève
For more stories like this on Switzerland follow us on Facebook