A clinic in Zurich has warned Swiss cat owners to be on guard. Several cats have ended up at the vet after eating Coop’s little rubber collectables.
A cat was recently rushed to the vet in Regensdorf for an emergency operation, according to 20 Minuten. The little rubber figurines were given to customers of Coop, one for every CHF 20 spent, between 6 March and 15 April 2017.
Once swallowed the toy causes a blockage in the intestine.
Rico Vannini from the Bessy’s Kleintierklinik told 20 Minuten that they had three cases in one week. She said “these things are dangerous. They are something cats love. Their texture, smell and size make them very interesting to them.”
Cats see the figurines as prey, attacking them and then occasionally eating them.
According to Vannini they pose little danger to average-sized dogs, which would typically have no difficulty digesting them. Cats on the other hand risk intestinal blockage with serious consequences if they are not taken to a vet.
The toys are banned for children under 3 years old, something stated on the wrapper. Ramon Gander, a spokes person from Coop, said it is very important for parents and pet owners not to leave these small objects lying around.